Dear Valued Customer
It is our pleasure to bring this new release of Definiens Tissue Studio® 3.5.1 to you.
About Definiens Tissue Studio® 3.5.1
Definiens Tissue Studio® 3.5.1 is an important maintenance release that improves stability, reduces hard disk space requirements significantly, makes efficient use of main memory and comes with increased processing performance. This is a recommended update for all users of Definiens Tissue Studio® 3.5.0 and older versions. The key improvements are highlighted below. Please have a look at the complete list of features and bugfixes in attached the release notes.
- Production Mode (see separate chapter below)
- New migration process for Solution files
- Users of Tissue Studio 3.5.0 can load solution files into Tissue Studio 3.5.1. They will be converted to Tissue Studio 3.5.1 solutions automatically. Please be aware that results may differ due to changed algorithms.
- As before, users may choose to switch to a compatibility mode for solutions created with version 2.1.0 to 3.5.0. This will guarantee identical results.
- Increased processing performance
- The average runtime could be reduced by 21% (without production mode) or 26% (with production mode).
- The improvement is very dependent on the image analysis task and the settings used. We have measured a reduction in runtime between 5% and 47%.
- Reduced hard disk space requirements
- With production mode turned on, the occupied hard disk space after batch processing has been reduced by a factor of 10-20. For example, this can bring you from 5GB to down to 500MB per whole slide image.
- With the production mode turned off, there is an improvement by a factor of 2-3.
- Efficient use of main memory
- The memory management has been improved, which has an effect on runtime (see above) and stability.
- The system requirements have been updated. Please check the Tissue Studio Installation Guide or the System Requirements documentation.
- Support for UNIC file format
The Production Mode is an important new software feature that allows users to further reduce the amount of hard disk space that is used for a project/workspace.
Users who would like to do detailed review of the results within Definiens Tissue Studio should leave the production mode turned off (default). This is typically the case when setting up a new solution, when quality control of the results is an important part of the workflow.
Users who have validated an image analysis solution and would like to bring it into production should turn the production mode on. Many files that are needed for internal processing (including tiles and subsets of images) are deleted at the end of processing. This saves a significant amount of hard disk space, but comes with the drawback of less review functionality within Definiens Tissue Studio (Heatmap, open tiles/subsets). Review can still be done on screenshots if exported, and with Definiens Image MinerTM.
For a detailed explanation, please have a look at the Definiens Tissue Studio User Guide.
Webinar about this release
You are invited to join a webinar about this release. It will give important information for end users and system administrators/IT. The purpose of this webinar is informing you about the benefits and updates that come with the maintenance releases of our product suites:
1) Definiens Developer XD and XD platform, version 2.0.4
2) Definiens Tissue Studio, version 3.5.1
3) Definiens Image Miner 2.0.2
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
The software is available for download from the Definiens Download Center. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and our support staff will be happy to provide you with a password for this release.
Licenses for previous versions of Definiens Tissue Studio will continue to work. There is no need for a new license request. If you use the workstation installation, please make sure to activate the software by loading your current license file after installation.
Enjoy using this new version of the software!
Kai Hartmann, Product Manager